National Speech and Debate Association made some changes to how Lincoln-Douglas Debate topics are decided, which is now similar to that of Public Forum Debate’s. The below are all the potential topics for speech and debate tournaments that will be held for 2020-2021 season.
Speech topics or Parliamentary debate topics are not decided the same way as these two debate events, so they will be decided in our classes.
2020-2021 Potential Debate Topics
(One of the two options will be selected.)
- Resolved: In a democracy, voting ought to be compulsory.
- Resolved: The United States ought to provide a federal jobs guarantee.
- Resolved: States ought to ban lethal autonomous weapons.
- Resolved: The United States ought to expand the application of the Public Trust Doctrine to wildlife habitats.
- Resolved: The United States ought to end its use of secondary sanctions on other countries.
- Resolved: The United States ought to guarantee universal child care.
- Resolved: The United States ought to recognize a positive right to reproduce.
- Resolved: Direct-to-consumer pharmaceutical advertising is unethical.
National Tournament 2021
- Resolved: A wealth tax is just.
- Resolved: Sin taxes are unjust.
- Resolved: A public health emergency justifies limiting civil liberties.
Public Forum Debate
2020-2021 Potential Debate Topic Areas & Resolutions
(One of the three options will be selected.)
NEW IN 2020-2021: One week prior to the topic release date, chapter advisors and member students will vote on the two topics assigned to the topic area used for that month.
September/October 2020: Healthcare
- Resolved: The United States federal government should enact the Medicare-For-All Act of 2019.
November/December 2020: Non-Proliferation Efforts
- Resolved: The United States should adopt a declaratory nuclear policy of no first use.
January 2021: Data Privacy
- Resolved: The NSA should end its surveillance of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents.
- Resolved: The United States should establish a federal data protection agency.
February 2021: Intra-African Policy
- Resolved: On balance, the benefits of urbanization in West Africa outweigh the harms.
- Resolved: Exclusive rights to the use of the Nile River are harmful to African stability.
March 2021: U.S. Space Policy
- Resolved: Article IV of the Outer Space Treaty should be amended to ban anti-satellite weapons.
- Resolved: On balance, the benefits of creating the United States Space Force outweigh the harms.
April 2021: International Economies
- Resolved: The benefits of the International Monetary Fund outweigh the harms.
- Resolved: On balance, cryptocurrency benefits emerging economies.
National Tournament 2021: Free Speech
- Resolved: In the United States, social media is beneficial for democratic values.
- Resolved: The United States federal government should no longer apply Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act to Big Tech.
Above information was created by National Speech and Debate Association and it is available at https://www.speechanddebate.org/topics/. Honor Academy is not the organization that creates or manages the above content.